The recent growth of the Port School community made it clear we were in need of a more cohesive approach to supporting our students’ social and emotional growth on campus. We have therefore recently merged our counselling team with the student services department and expanded our facilities.
Health and wellbeing are essential for quality of life and are fundamental preconditions for learning and development. Port School’s Student Support Services is committed to ensuring that all individuals receive health and wellbeing services that are accessible and inclusive of all individuals, including the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We aim to empower our students to cultivate a sense of ownership over their social and emotional wellbeing and build resilience to support them in their life journey.
We adhere to the following principles for health and wellbeing:
- Maximise access and inclusion
- Focus on strength-based and solution-centred outcomes
- Evidence informed and reflective practice
- A holistic approach
- Person-centred and family-sensitive practice
- Partnership with families and communities
- Cultural competence and connection
Student Support Services offers assistance with:
- Housing issues
- Liaison with external services (eg. Centrelink)
- Medical issues
- Trauma-informed counselling
- Peer support through group sessions
- Therapeutic activities and interventions
Our dedicated team of staff aim to provide a supportive culture within the Port School community, by promoting the School’s core values of Empowerment, Diversity, Growth and Community.