Port School introduced the Team Sport Program in 2010. It is ideal for those who excel in sports or who would benefit from engaging in team activities and/or a more robust physical program.
The aim of the program is to incorporate a variety of skilled sports and offer tasters that will develop the skills across a wide range of activities such as:
The overall Team Sport program aims to develop the following skills and outcomes:
- Understanding participation, teamwork and working with others.
- Leadership, mentoring, training and coaching of younger students.
- Running skills drills and warm up routines.
- Developing and designing their own skills drill and implementing to the rest of the group.
- Taking part in taster sessions of other sport initiatives.
- Taking part in challenge matches against other schools and clubs.
- Training with clubs which are external to the school.
Port promotes a healthy lifestyle and positive wellbeing and encourages students and staff to participate in its weekly fitness programs. During summer months, Port makes use of the local beaches nearby by offering a run/walk and swim options. In addition Port staff offer fitness at local boxing gyms, all girls gym/fitness sessions and sports coaching to primary schools.
Port has recently acquired a large amount of commercial fitness equipment. This is in readiness for a proposed fitness gym, to be developed in 2019. The new facility will become an integral part of Port’s daily offerings, with scope for it to be used by students and staff, and possibly the local community outside of school opening hours.